Early Learning Centre for ages 3 - 5
Early Years Centre in Depth
Our school is committed to the International Baccalaureate® Primary Years Programme (PYP) curriculum, meaning that our teaching is balanced, concept-based, and planned around our students. We support student diversity and recognise that students learn in different ways. We appreciate the need to personalise learning to best meet the needs of our students, therefore ISBerne has a comprehensive student support services team who support our youngest learners. Our programme is also focused on:
- OUTDOOR LEARNING: At ISBerne, students participate in regular outdoor learning sessions and forest visits allowing them to move freely, to be physically active, and to have a safe and secure setting to challenge themselves and take risks.
- LITERACY: Our students regularly visit ISBerne‘s Library to exchange and borrow books with their class. Students also have access to the library and librarian whenever appropriate to support their learning.
- MULTILINGUALISM: We appreciate the importance of language development and when possible, provide opportunities for children to use their language of choice. English as an Additional Language teachers are available to support students learning to speak English.
School Day and Opening Hours
The morning sessions are Monday – Friday from 08:30 until 12:00. All day class continues until 15:30 (14:30 on Wednesdays). The minimum enrolment is 5 mornings per week. Afternoon sessions can be added in increments from two, to three, to all five afternoons.
After School Care
At ISBerne, we are aware that the working day for many of our parents does not always align with school hours. The ISBerne After School Care programme provides a safe and caring environment, offering a range of active and restful activities. Care is available every regular school day from dismissal time until 18:00 for an additional fee.
Classrooms and Facilities
Our classrooms and outdoor areas are seen as a space to celebrate and encourage learning. When setting up and adapting learning spaces, teachers are mindful of the children’s sense of belonging, their cultural identity, and needs, and the connections they will make. Our Early Learning Centre offers the following amenities:
- Modern, speciality built facilities
- Beautiful location near to forests and farmland
- Large outdoor play area
- Inviting classrooms with access to additional technology resources
- Well resourced library
- State-of-the-art theatre and aula
- Large indoor gym
- Private kitchen and eating area
- Fresh, healthy lunch service
About our Teachers
The ISBerne team is comprised of highly qualified international educators specialised in the particular needs of young children. Our student-to-teacher ratio is low allowing each student multiple opportunities for personal attention. The teachers at ISBerne are well-respected as early childhood experts and our school regularly hosts workshops, conferences, and events for teachers from around the world. By following an ongoing professional growth programme, our teachers are committed to keeping up-to-date with current research and best practices in early childhood education.
Getting Started at ISBerne
We are grateful for your interest and want you to have all the information you need to consider ISBerne for your preschool aged child. Your family can join ISBerne at any time during the school year as long as space is available.
- Your child must have reached the age of three before commencing. We require all children to be ‘dry’ (toilet trained).
- Acceptance depends upon vacancies in the programme and a waiting list is maintained if the programme is full.
- Children enrolled for mornings can move into the afternoon programme at any point in the school year if both parent and teacher feel the child is ready.
- Once a child is enrolled in the afternoon programme it is for the remainder of the school year.
The International School of Berne recognises the deep commitment a family makes when investing in a private, day school education. We take your investment seriously and work diligently to balance affordability with our world-class education programme.
How To Apply
If you would like to enrol your child, please go to the Apply to ISBerne page. Download and complete the Application bundle for ELC and follow the instructions outlined. We look forward to welcoming your child to our school. If you have any additional questions, please view our Admissions FAQ page. You may also contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling +41 31 959 10 00.
Our child enjoys ISBerne very much and feels comfortable at the school.
The teachers have quite a challenging task to balance so many different learning needs on a daily basis, and they seem to do it with ease.
Very enthusiastic and patient team which is important for a young and growing mind.
The teachers are passionate about their subjects and really focus on the children’s individual learning.
The teachers at ISBerne are amazing. My children have been very lucky to have experienced so many teachers over the last four years.
I love the reasoned judgments inculcated in my child, and the ethical values taught in tandem with the general academics.
ISBerne encourages children to think and challenge and not just accept.
The writing skills of my Kindergarten student improved amazingly!
My kids love going to school – That’s what matters!