The Primary Years Programme
Learn more below about the learning philosophy in the Elementary School and ELC…
The ISBerne Early Learning Centre and Elementary School Learning Philosophy
The International School of Berne is one of the few schools world-wide authorized to offer all three IB programmes. The International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IB PYP), for students aged 3-11, focuses on the development of the whole child, addressing social, physical, emotional and cultural needs. The PYP is a transdisciplinary curriculum which draws the individual disciplines together into a coherent whole, while preserving the essence of each subject. At ISBerne the PYP strives to help children develop an international perspective. The PYP curriculum is organised around six themes (units of inquiry):
- Who we are
- Where we are in place and time
- How we express ourselves
- How the world works
- How we organise ourselves
- Sharing the planet
Students are taught through guided inquiry, where the teacher creates a learning environment where there is a carefully considered balance between explicit teaching and inquiry learning.
As an ISBerne student, your child will:
- acquire and practice essential skills including reading, writing, mathematical understanding and computer literacy. These skills are seen as a “means to an end” in that they equip the learner with the ability to function in the 21st Century
- develop a deep understanding of important concepts.
- conduct research into knowledge which has local and global significance.
- be encouraged to develop positive attitudes towards learning, the environment and other people.
- have the opportunity for involvement in responsible action and social service.
Our rich curricular programme gives children a strong foundation in all the major areas of knowledge: mathematics, social studies, drama, languages, music, visual arts, science, personal and social education, and physical education.
The students have their class teachers for the core subjects and specialist teachers for French or German, music, information and communication technology, art, physical education and library.
We offer English as an Additional Language classes for students who come to our school with limited proficiency in English, and a provision for students who require learning support.
The PYP curriculum framework provides an excellent foundation for the IB Middle Years Programme (IB MYP). The MYP, like the PYP, places a focus on critical thinking, personal responsibility for learning, student inquiry and social service.