Freedom From Chemical Dependency Education
As part of our health education programme I am pleased to announce that a prevention specialist from the US based ‘Freedom from Chemical Dependency’ (FCD) Educational Services, will once again be visiting our school from Monday 18th November to Thursday 21st November.
FCD is a non-profit organization that provides substance abuse prevention education for schools. FCD’s visits to our school for the past six years have been very successful. The written feedback from our students has been overwhelmingly positive.
FCD’s mission is to:
• Encourage and support the non-use of legal and illegal drugs during the growing years
• Empower young people to make healthy, responsible choices regarding alcohol and other drug use
• Teach students and adults how to recognize the early warning signs of substance abuse and to intervene appropriately
• Educate students, parents, teachers, and administrators on the physiological and psychological effects of alcohol and other drugs
• Promote awareness of addiction as a progressive, chronic, and sometimes fatal disease
• Provide educational communities with the guidance and training necessary to implement comprehensive, effective approaches to substance abuse prevention.
FCD Prevention Specialists are highly trained professionals who have achieved long-term recovery from alcohol or other drug addictions. This unique perspective enhances the credibility of their message and provides students with role models for happy, healthy, drug-free living.
In addition to meeting with students and faculty we have also arranged a session with parents. Some of the topics addressed in this session will include:
• Effective ways to communicate with your child about drugs and drug use
• Up-to-date facts about current drug use and trends
• What to say about your own experiences with alcohol and/or drug experimentation
• How to spot early warning signs of trouble and effective ways to respond.
This session will take place on Tuesday 19th November from 8.40 to 9.40 in the lunchroom (building A).
We very much hope you will be able to attend one or both of these events.
If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at school.
Mr. C. WarrenReturn to News